Tuesday 5 February 2013

Travel/Live - Costa Rica - The first few days

I wanted to outline EVERYTHING because when I was looking for information like this I couldn't find it. Feel free to stop reading anytime, I won't get offended unless you tell me and then I might be a little sad. So let's just decide you will keep reading!
My bags were overweight... duh. I had no idea what I would need so I brought a lot of stuff! The kid that checked me in (he looked so young) said one of my pieces was 29kg and that it could only be 23kg, but if I could move things around and get it to 25kg I would be fine. Well, I got it to 26kg and he just let me go. I LOVE TACA for that.
I have a track record for being a target for security checks. When I was going back and forth to school I would get checked all the time. I even got a full pat down once in Toronto. They gave me the option of getting in the bosy scanner, but that thing is so strange and the thought of the government, or whoever,  having that picture didn't sit well with me. This trip was a new record for me though. Twice in one line! First I got my hands and clothes checked while I was standing in line, and then my laptop was tested once it went through the scanner. At least I didn't get a pat down this time! 
In the area I was waiting there was a place that sold almond milk yogurt and it was so good! I need to find that when I get home. Also, the line for Tim Horton's was a joke! I really don't think it is worth waiting forever to get, but that is just me and maybe Chris too because we all know how much he adores McDonald's coffee and the engineering masterpiece that is their cup!
My flight was only 5 hours I think and I have been on much longer flights before, but this one seemed to last FOREVER. I guess it was because I was so anxious and unsure of what to expect. The layover in San Salvador was less than an hour and I was so worried I would miss my connection and I was sitting in the middle seat so I was paranoid about falling asleep and ending up on someone's shoulder drooling. So I stayed awake even though I was so tires. The food was dumb... there was no vegetarian option so I just got what everyone else got for side dishes: potato salad (Mom you would not have approved), a white bun, and a kit kat. This was my lunch. Luckily one of the lady's next to me took pity on me an gave me her bread!!! That was so nice of her, but I still felt ripped off. This whole white food overload is beginning to be a trend on my trip already. My anxiety about my connection was alleviated when I realized that the airport in San Salvador is tiny. I'm pretty sure I walked 500m from where I got off and I was at my new gate. Flights done!
Then when I arrived in Costa Rica I was terrified about immigration because I wasn't sure what to do if they asked my what I was planning to do here for three months. As most of you know, I really dislike lying and I am also terrible at it so the prospect of having to fabricate a story to get into the country had me incredibly worried. However, all my worries were so unnecessary, as my immigration officer was so nice and spoke veeerrryyyy slowly so I could understand him. He was a little confused when I said I would be here for around 85 days (I said it in Spanish so I think he thought I didn't know what number I was really saying) but he let me through, so that was fine. 
My next task was customs. Can I say customs was a joke? No offense Costa Rica, but it was pretty silly. All you had to do was put your completed form into a pile (no one checked it) and then put your bags through the machine to check for shady items. Done. 
As I walked outside there were a ton of people with signs so I'm sure I looked like such a loser walking so slowly in order to read every sign. Finally I found my name and  I got into the mini bus with another volunteer, Anna from the States. We were at different host families so Anna got dropped off first and then I did. My host mother was nice and her boyfriend (I think) helped me with my bags. My room is tiny and I have a roommate but she is so nice and very helpful. She has been here for a while already so she knows quite a bit about everything. I am incredibly grateful that I got such a wonderful  roommate. Living in close quarter with someone you dislike would be a nightmare!
On Monday we had orientation which consisted of a presentation with some information about the organization, culture, and certain expectations for the volunteers. Then there was a placement test for those people who wanted to take Spanish lessons. After a day I knew I was so rusty and needed some help so I took the test. My conversational skills have always been weak so I need to practice as much a possible. Fortunately, I was place in a class based largely around conversational skills. There are only 2 other students, so it is fantastic and my teacher is an absolutely wonderful person. After the placement test we had a walking tour of the area around the organization's head office in San Pedro. There is everything around there, which is so convenient. I had some time before class so I went for a walk along the main strip to just look around and I really needed to buy a watch. I also ended up walking far enough that I found a McDonalds, and I had a craving for soft serve so it was perfect! Then I went back for Spanish class which was great, and then my roommate showed me how to get back home! After dinner my roommate said she was still hungry and I fully agreed, so she showed me a place with really yummy quesadillas! Then it was back home for so much needed sleep. By the way we had pasta and some avocado for dinner. That might seem like enough but when you are only eating three meals a day with no snacks, you need more! Especially more vegetables!
Today was my first real day. I had to be at the headquarters at 7:30 so I left at 7:00, but then I got really worried because the bus wasn't coming! I waited 15 minutes before it came which is apparently normal because the buses don't have a schedule like at home. Anyway, I did get there on time only to wait for half an hour for another volunteer who didn't show up. Oh well.  Then we walked with our project coordinator to the bus stop and were on our way. There are 6 of us doing this particular project right now and everyone seems super friendly and were very welcoming. 
We worked at a women's rehab facility, which I know sounds kind of scary but this place is not like the rehab you see in the movies. They all have their little kids there and they work together to cook, clean, and take care of the kids. We were painting a few areas in the house which I was pumped about because I have always wanted to paint a room! I was told they have been working there for a while doing a ton of painting so I just caught the tail end of everything. It was a bit tedious and I fully felt like I was in the old Karate Kid movie painting the never ending fence, but when I was done I really felt as though I had accomplished something. They also gave us juice and cookies! Then we headed back to headquarters for lunch and Spanish class. After Spanish class I finally got around to changing my money to Colones. The exchange rate is about 1 dollar to 500 colones, so I really felt rich when I left the bank! Then I went to buy a pillow because the one I have is not good and the guy was really nice, but they only had one firmness which I think is odd but it's fine because it's a definite improvement on the one I had before. It is also nice to know it is new and clean. I know that sounds kind of snobby but it is true. I have to put my face on that thing and breathe near it for 8 or 9 hours a day! Then I decided to walk home which was okay, except I started to worry I was lost after I had been walking for 15 minutes. In the end I hadn't lost my way at all and it was plenty early so it was completely safe. Then I had a much needed shower and we had a cilantro filled dinner. I have decided I don't love cilantro but my host mother uses it a lot so I hope I just become immune to it soon. After dinner Paige and I went across the street to a bakery so get some dessert and now I am writing this very long post that may not have made sense or required quite so much detail. 
Let me know if you have any questions!
Hasta Luego,
Marina

3 comments:

  1. Love all the info! Glad you are safe! Why would you have to lie to get in the country and what was going to be your lie? I love there is a bakery across the street...sounds yum! Don't give up sweets for Lent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they thought I was working for money then I would have had to get a different visa. I was just thinking if he asked me what I was going to do for 3 months I would have had to say something like I would just be travelling. Then if he asked me where, I would have been in trouble because I had no idea the names of any places!

      Delete
  2. Hola Marina
    we are happy to hear that everyone there is nice ,beside your beautiful smile can only attract more smiles, This blog is great, I hope you won't be too tired at night to write down about your day, glad to know that you enjoyed painting....... we will keep it in mind....haha

    ReplyDelete