Monday 18 February 2013

Travel - Costa Rica - Mal Pais

Hey All!

This past weekend I took my first trip to one of the many beaches that Costa Rica has to offer. The town was called Mal Pais, which translated, literally means 'bad country'. It was quite pretty but I wasn't blown away. I think my expectations are always way too high when I got to a beach that is thought to be one of the most beautiful in the country.
However, before I got there I had to endure the 6.5 hour commute, which included a 1.5 hour ferry ride across the Gulf of Nicoya. I took a video on the ferry on my way back and I will include it at the bottom because the sunset was quite lovely. Riding the ferry also explains why when there is an emergency on a boat more people get hurt than necessary. Just getting off the ferry people were being so pushy! If everyone just waited their turn we all would have gotten off so much faster.
This is a surfer's paradise so everyone was quite laid back and moving pretty slow. The people were all VERY nice. Like people would introduce themselves to me at the hotel and start to chat with me. Unfortunately I didn't get to practice my Spanish much because everyone spoke English.
On Saturday I woke up at 6 and went out in search of food but NOTHING was open. I eventually found a really cute bakery/coffee shop and had an order of muesli and yogurt with fruit, AND another order of fruit because I don't get a big variety with my host mom. The person who took my order seemed a bit confused and had to confirm with me that I wanted both. It was expensive but SO worth it! The whole weekend was expensive, and I eventually stopped counting and just decided to enjoy myself.
I was so excited to go to this beach because I really wanted to learn how to surf. So I got an hour lesson, and the instructor was the son of the owner of the place I was staying. His family was from Florida and his dad decided to move them down here and start a resort. Although he was nice, he seemed a little uninterested. This is always how I feel when I get any sort of the lesson; that I am inconveniencing the person. Oh well, I was able to get up, but in the end I decided I really didn't like it. I have never liked salt water but I was hoping I might has grown out of that phase... nope. I don't know how you get used to the burning eyes. So no more surfing for me, but I had to try it or else I would never have known.
Sunday it was windy so I just stayed by the pool and got the bus at 2:00. The trek back to San Jose lasted 7 hours. Good times. That is the thing I don't like about travelling... the travelling.
So while I was on the bus back I freaked out because I realized I wasn't going to make it back to go to church. When I asked around about the church in Mal Pais people knew where it was but no on seemed to be sure about what time it was at. The majority of people seemed to think it was 6pm on Sunday. I went to find the church, but it was closed and there was no schedule posted anywhere. So I went online to find a last mass in San Jose, and I found one at 8pm, but I didn't get back until 9. I should have left on the 6am bus so I could have gotten back. The first Sunday of Lent and I missed. I felt so guilty. So now I have to find a church that had a priest that speaks English so I can go to confession. I can feel my faith slipping again. I'm not quite sure why me going to mass and understand what is going on is so important though. I feel like it should be more of an internal thing. On the bright side I got some good book recommendations so I hope that will help!

Pura Vida (Everyone says this here... all the time. It literally means pure life, but it is more like all good),

Marina





It always amazes me what beautiful things happen in nature



No comments:

Post a Comment