Tuesday 12 February 2013

Live - Costa Rica - Project Information!

Hey Everyone!

So my mom requested some more information about what I am doing day to day here. Ask and you shall receive...
I try to walk to volunteer headquarters everyday, which takes about 35 minutes because I am a slow walker. I stole my dad's GPS watch and I keep meaning to put it on to see how many miles it is but I always forget. Maybe tomorrow! And then we go as a group to our project, which up until today was two bus rides away, and took around 45 minutes. However, today was our last day at this particular project because everything is done! Apparently volunteers have been working at this project for around 4 months so they gave a nice send off and all the ladies that live there seemed quite grateful for all of the changes that have been made. Tomorrow we are heading to a new project in one of the worst areas in San Jose to do some painting!
Today I got oil based paint all over my hands and I was going to cry because it is so hard to get off! I spent an hour cleaning up the brush, paint tray, and my hands. Luckily we had paint thinner or I would have been stuck with black hands! So let's hope it is all water based paint tomorrow.
When we were leaving the project it started raining and I said that the sky was crying because were leaving and a few of the ladies thought that was a good sentiment. It was strange that it was raining because it is the dry season here.
After we left, we went back to headquarters, as always, and I wolfed down my lunch because we got there a lot later than usual and I have Spanish class from 2-4. Then I walk "home", have a shower, eat dinner, and then just hang out. Luckily my roommate is usually as tired as I am at the end of the day and we go to sleep pretty early. So those are my days! Last weekend I stuck around San Jose but this weekend I am going to the beach! I am so excited!

Hasta Luego,

Marina

P.S. Sorry about the randomness of the photos, I will try and put them in the post they pertain to from now on.

A building at UCR (University of Costa Rica)
A beautiful church across the street from our project

The Central Market in San Jose (Kind of St. Lawrence Market in Toronto)

The gorgeous interior of a church I stumbled upon in San Jose
Our project

The National Theatre in San Jose

No comments:

Post a Comment