Sunday 10 February 2013

Live - Costa Rica - Round 2

So even though I never wanted to go out again I knew that I had to, because being a hermit can only get you so far in life. So my roommate, her friend, and I set out for some fun!
We went to a bar that they usually just have a drink at before heading to another location (across/down the street) for some dancing. They had the most ridiculous beers there. They were ridiculous for two reasons: 1. they were gigantic! 2. you could get different combinations. For example: beer with a shot of whiskey in it, or perhaps a beer flavoured like a caesar. Ew. It was there that we met two Ticos (Costa Ricans) that had perfect American accents. They told us they learned to speak English from the disney channel. I was very skeptical, as their English was impeccable, and their accents were flawless. But they maintained they had never taken a lesson nor had they ever lived in an English speaking country.
Then we went across the street to dance. To me, the inexperienced go-er out-er, it was fine, but the other girls were unhappy with the music and the lack of good looking people. However, that didn't stop a very cute guy (the only one in there apparently) form asking my roommate to dance. She refused, but proceeded to have a conversation with him. He was quite nice and had a few friends with him. One of them was from Canada! They all knew each other from rugby and I found out that the Canadian was studying at UCR (University of Costa Rica). They were all very nice, unlike some Ticos who are very pushy. Alas, we had to leave as the music was unsatisfactory and the boys had rugby practice in the morning. Needless to say, they did not come with us on our mission to find a better spot. My roommate is now regretting that she didn't get his information. She is one of those people that doesn't understanding that she is really pretty and everyone wants a piece of her, and sometimes there are good guys out there. Oblivious.
So the next bar we went to had satisfactory music so we stayed there for the rest of our night out. There were some very interesting characters there: one guy kept pushing to dance with our group and his go to dance move was a slow spin around, then there were the two girls that got into a fight, which was promptly stopped by security, a guy who seemed like he was on drugs because he seemed very wired, and finally the girl with the dress that didn't cover her bum, at all (and the worst part... there were stairs in this place). The strange spinning guy did have a really nice friend who was not pushy, and quite cute. When we left, I told him was really nice but his friend needed help. Too direct? What can I say, the kid was obnoxious, he didn't understand the meaning of no!
All in all I'd say it was an okay night out. It was fine that everyone was asking my roommate to dance but it hurts your self esteem a little. This is NOT a pity party, I am just saying.
Therefore, I have complied a list of thing that I don't like about going out:
1. You can't actually have a conversation with anyone because the music is so loud.
2. Being overlooked
3. Trying to please everyone involved (although the other girls were happier in the end, I didn't think it was all that fun because their was no actual dance floor, and everywhere we went I seemed to be in the way)
The first one is the worst for me. That's also the reason I don't like going anywhere with live music because it tends to be so loud.
Anyway, maybe the third time will be the charm!

Un abrazo fuerte (a bug hug),

Marina

No comments:

Post a Comment