Wednesday 13 February 2013

Live - Costa Rica - Ash Wednesday

Today we went to our new project and we painted like champions! Our supervisor was so impressed with how quickly we worked. To be fair though, there were 8 of us! Tomorrow we'll do a second coat and all the little areas that got missed and then on to the next project. Although it is a slum, the kids who go there for day care, all seem quite happy. I was wondering if they knew that they live in a terrible area, and that there are far better places to live.

So since today is Ash Wednesday I thought I'd tell you all what I'm doing for lent. I know if I tell people then you will all keep me on track and honest.


1. I will only eat 3 square meals a day. I know that people might have a problem with this, but for me it is an act of temperance, and something I feel will be helpful for understand that food is fuel, not life.

2. No sweets... at all! More temperance, and restriction is always a good lesson.
3. Wake up 15 minutes earlier and do a reflection. I have a book of devotions that I will be using.
4. No computer after 9pm. I have found that technology is ridiculous and so completely unnecessary at all hours of the day. Cutting myself off a bit early will be good for a multitude of reasons.
5. Stretch! Muscles, mind, and spirit all have to work together, so tending to all of them is important!
6. Reflect on failures and successes each day, and write them down. 


I also wanted to read a book with a theme surrounding God's purpose or plan, and how to listen and understand Him better, but I can't seem to find and e-book that fits the bill. If anyone has a suggestion please let me know!
All in all, I believe that all of these things will help me discover what is truly important, and how improve my spiritual life but cutting out some of the materialism that has us all by the throat! That was a little dramatic, but I hope you understand what I mean. I am worried that I will start losing and doubting my faith like I did when I was in Spain; an effect of not being able to understand the mass and homily, completely, in Spanish. So I will do my best to stay away from that place, but I can always use support... that means you!
Hasta Luego (Until later),
Marina
P.S. I love that people smile so big when I smile at them on the street and they say good morning or good afternoon! Not like Toronto when they think you are crazy and look down. I try and look up as much as I can but the sidewalks here are ridiculous. Sometimes I feel that I am missing so much while I am making sure I don't fall into a hole. 

No comments:

Post a Comment