Thursday 28 March 2013

Live - Costa Rica - Money

I just wanted to say hi and I hope everyone is enjoying their Easter preparations. You may or may not be surprised to hear that Easter here is not commercialized at all! I went looking for Easter treats for my volunteer group and the options were very limited and extremely expensive. A small bag of chocolate eggs (maybe a dozen) was 12 dollars!
Speaking of money... Money is really interesting to me and it is always cool to see how it differs from country to country. In Costa Rica they use Colones. By the way, when I show people the new Canadian bills they always comment how pretty they are!
There is also a 50 colones coin. No 1 cent coin... but I did have a dream that is existed! 500 colones is worth about 1 dollar, give or take a few cents. You might also notice that there are two variations of the 10 colones coin. Yup, it's strange, there are also two varieties of the 5 colones coin. The silver coins are so light, it feels like you could break them without trying too hard.



White-faced monkey

Bull shark

Guanacaste Tree and a White-tailed deer

They are all different sizes, like Euros.
There is also a 50000 bill that is purple (my favourite) and has a butterfly on it, but seeing as I will never have one of those you should just google it because it is pretty.
Things are really quiet here because of Holy Week. The schools have been closed since Monday, and apparently everyone heads to the beach. However, since I am not fond of the beach or large crowds of people (or sometime just people in general) I am staying put. Today I am going to a butterfly farm , so I hope that works out well, and apart from going to church it should be a pretty quiet weekend. It'll give me a chance to rest up for the upcoming month; I have booked something for every weekend until I go home. Next weekend is Manuel Antonio National Park, then zip lining in Monteverde, then a coffee plantation tour, and then home! Since I'll be nice and occupied time will whiz by!

No comments:

Post a Comment